[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Oct 10 13:47:02 WST 2003

bob wrote:

>Some of the thermaltake volcanos mentioned are 2 speed jobs that kick into
>high gear automatically when they need to work harder. Low speed noise
>specs look pretty good (17 dB at 1300 rpm), high speed is pretty ordinary
>(48 dB at 4800 rpm) but I hope that would not be a problem if they're
>efficient enough to cool properly at low speed.

Thermalright heatsinks are fairly well respected amongst those who
overclock for their cooling abilities.  When I had an Athlon XP 1600+, I
had a Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink on it which took 80mm fans (and a
couple of small sizes as well apparently).  I had a low speed 80mm Sunon
fan on it that was relatively quiet and pushed a fair amount of air
(enough to keep my CPU under 55 degrees even under full load on hot
summer days here - Broome).

It was rather expensive though (around $100 with a fan at the time).  It
was heavy though, being all copper.

/ Ben

--
Ben Jensz