[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 10 14:09:19 WST 2003

>>enough to keep my CPU under 55 degrees even under full load on hot
>
> Ah, I've always wondered what temperatures people were dealing with when
> setting up cooling systems. I'm used to working with processors running
> between 60--80C but it sounds like people are probably cooling to
> something below that.

Definitely. 60 is OK, but I'd be reluctant to operate a machine with a
CPU temperature too much above that.

> I seem to remember that when I was living in the
> Northern Territory, I heard rumours that some people had computers using
> "Intel" "Pentiums" (what's the fuss about?) but adoption was slowed by
> the fact that they couldn't be used reliably without air conditioning,
> at the time.

That'll be because many original pentiums shipped without cooling fans -
just a relatively restrained heatsink. Only after about P100 did they
start getting fans fairly consistently. I've got a bunch of P133 and
P166 machines here that are quite happy without fans (but then, we're
not in broome!).

My real concern would be for the PEOPLE forced to work in environments
hot enough to cause failures of PCs. Uggh.

Craig Ringer