[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 10 14:24:51 WST 2003

>>I'm used to working with processors running between 60--80C
>
> Many CPUs (Athlon XPs, for example) start cooking at 85-90C, while
> others (some of the PIIIs) can fall over at 62C or so.  Depending on
> your CPU, you'll probably want things a little cooler than you're
> currently running  :)

OTOH, I recently had a CPU fan fail in one of the 1 GHz AMD Duron
machines here at work. The user had commented a couple of days
previously that the machine seemed quieter, and asked if I'd done
anything. I assumed that was just a matter of a fan that might've been a
bit unstable starting to behave - something like that.

I found out why it was quiet 2 days later, when the user commented
they'd had a couple of crashes. Things smelled hot when I sat down at
the workstation. Well... the fan had stabilised all right, at about 110
degrees centigrade (according to BIOS) - fan not spinning at all. It was
so hot I had to let it stand for 15 minutes before I could safely
replace the cooler.

The machine is now working happily.

The point here is that while CPUs can be quite fragile, sometimes
they're shockingly resilient too. I prefer not to push it ;-)

Craig Ringer