[plug] A new modem needed?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 13 09:54:04 WST 2003

>>I can relate to this discussion as we are currently trying to get a Netgear ADSL modem to work (2nd modem) with Swiftel and all we have been given is the run around about getting a Telstra technican to come out and test the line and charge you for it.  They have been out twice and verified that the link is working.  We have a link light on but cannot get any further.  Followed the manual instructions step by step and even had someone else try it and still no go.  Yet the response from them is we have this model and that model and we would send this to you for $$$.  Some ISP's need to get their act together. At least I can honestly say ours has good support.

You have a link light only, but no sync light? If the DSL modem can't
get sync, that pretty much spells out LINE IS FAULTY. I guess it's
possible that the modem could be DOA or telstra could've misconnected
you to the DSLAM, though. Anyway, from anybody but Telstra I'd wonder
how they could charge you.

> And for this reason I always have the DSL terminate on my linux box and
> not the modem, that way you get an excellent set of logs telling you
> what the issue is and who is responsible.

Indeed. On at least one occasion, I've been one of the first users to
inform iiNet of a problem, and they tend to be a bit confused when you
can tell them /what/ is wrong too. "Looks like your authentication
servers are down or unreachable from Telstra's pppoe servers".