[plug] Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 24 12:22:50 WST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:26:39AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?
>
> Some environment it can be run within?
[...]

Yes, this is known as process checkpointing. There's been a lot of
research into it but every approach has its limitations.

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~mfoster/research/uclik.htm
http://cap.anu.edu.au/~dgibson/esky.html
http://www.research.rutgers.edu/~edpin/epckpt/
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1042
http://www.iti.mu-luebeck.de/~petri/pbeamrefs.html

Environments like User Mode Linux, Mosix or Bochs could make it easier,
though not as easy as a nice simple process without shared memory,
threads, network connections, etc. A more mainstream approach is
suspend-to-disk of the whole system, which people use every day on
laptops, but desktops can be capable of, too.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal