[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 27 16:54:57 WST 2003

Quoting Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au>:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 04:05:51PM +0800, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
>
> | Get over it and get on with the job. At this point, further division is
> | destructive
>
> Why is it a problem if different distributions use different package
> formats?

Easy - people have to make lots of different packages every time they want to
release something. All that extra effort because some people cant get past such
trivialities and treat package management choice the same as a lifestyle choice.

> Debian has had its debs and Slackware its tar.gz's for long before RPM
> was around.  There is no reason for - and in fact, significant intertia
> opposing - either to change, or for any new distributions to adopt RPM
> simply because it is popular when other options may be technically
> superior.

Yes there is a very good reason. Standards are good. Open standards are better.
For something simple like a package management system, we dont need 2 competing
open standards - it adds a lot of work. More distros use RPM. It wins.

Why is this so difficult?