[plug] Anyone heard of Microworld?

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 31 11:27:15 WST 2003

Quoting Kimberly Shelt <kim at linmagau.org>:

> I of course missed out on working for them for free :)

What a damn shame. Im sure you're really upset by that :)

This is one of my pet hates. The skills we have as individuals are valuable,
and we deserve to be paid well for what we do. Because something is easy for
you or becomes very natural, doesnt mean everyone can do it that easy.

I kinda blame uni students. Almost as a rule they completely undervalue what
they do because they think they lack experience, so they do stuff almost for
free and then because its not worth their while doing it long term, we end up
with a pile of unmaintained linux boxen/Access DBs/web sites etc city wide
that 'used to be done by some uni student' and the expectation is that
maintaining it is very cheap.

Your time is valuable, treat it as such.  Otherwise you do everyone a
disservice when someone running a business (with a premises and all the
associated costs) is missing out on work because the expectation is VB
programmers are worth $25 per hour or even worse.