[plug] procmail

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Sep 20 22:14:27 WST 2003

> I read the same mailbox at home and work using evolution on both
> machines (and sometimes IE, or squirrelmail when elsewhere.  The *^&&*%&
> thing keeps forgetting if a mail gets deleted in one client, it should
> stay deleted and not come back when opening the other client!

I think I saw something about this on the Cyrus mailing list archives -
it might well be worth a look. It's fine with Eudora, Mozilla, Netscape,
Sylpheed, Mutt, etc - so I'd be suspecting Evolution here.

> Then there's also the refusal to behave when a header, subject or sender
> has some > chr(200) - not sure which ones, its probably unicode as its
> usually of asian/balkans origin - so I have to trawl the mailbox (perl
> of course!) and delete the offender before being able to access the
> mail.  This ones serious, as Murhpy generally makes it happen after a
> holiday when I have a few thousand emails ....  Yet strangely, the same
> characters in the message body are ignored.

Interesting. Those should generally not be delivered at all unless
they're properly encoded, and then I've never had any issues. I get
quite a bit of unicode mail (yay) with high characters in the headers.
Is this definitely Cyrus and not Evolution? Perhaps it's an interaction
of the two.

I'm using the latest Cyrus, too - perhaps there are issues with older
versions that have been dealt with.

I've found it to be easy, fast, reliable, fast, fast, fast, and largely
fuss-free. I hear there can be issues with the mailbox db that are a bit
of a PITA, but haven't run into them. I must admit it took a little
getting going (mainly getting it authenticating: imapd -> sasl2 ->
saslauthd -> pam -> pam_ldap -> slapd is kinda complex....) but has been
running perfectly ever since.

It's worth noting that I went straight from MDaemon on a WinNT4 K6/2-500
(SCSI RAID1, 512mb RAM) to a dual Xeon with two gigs of RAM and Linux
2.4 (RH8), so not all the /fast/ comes from Cyrus. Still, the old
mailserver used to bog to an unbelievable extent, where now the load is
undetectable - including the load from Sendmail, SpamAssassin and
MimeDefang.

I'd really suggest checking the cyrus archives wrt to your Evolution
problems, perhaps there are some useful ideas there.

Craig Ringer