[plug] Please help.. i'm desperate

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Sep 21 08:22:22 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 07:29, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> After having ADSL for almost a week now, it is still not working. I've tried
> many modems, all which work as soon as they're plugged in - for a few hours,
> then they will drop out never to gain line synch again. The only way I can
> get them to gain synch is by picking up the handset on a phone.

Some things to think about:
      * If Telstra comes out and plugs in their gear and it works, and
        they leave they've not done the same test as you say you've done
        - plug it in, works for a few hours, then sync is only regained
        after the phone is picked up.
      * Apart from your phones, is there a fax, or an alarm system on
        your line?
      * Have you asked for a test after line-sync was lost?
      * If as you say your modem works elsewhere, the fault is in your
        setup. This may be in any (or all) of: your computer, your
        power, your line(s), your phone-equipment. Did you test your
        computer and your modem elsewhere? If so, you can eliminate
        those.
      * It looks like you'll have to think outside the box, because all
        the obvious things are not working.
      * One comment: You've got two line-filters - why?
      * Also, have you got a line-filter at the Telstra box where the
        line comes off the street, or only in front of *every* non-ADSL
        device?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..