[plug] Please help.. i'm desperate

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Sun Sep 21 16:23:24 WST 2003

On 21/09/2003 at 12:08 PM Sham Chukoury wrote:

> Another possibility is a nearby AM radio station, or bandit ham radio
>operator that are disrupting the DSL signal since they operate in a
>similar frequency range. These may only cause problems at certain times
>of day, like when the station boosts its signal at night. A good telco

This is a myth. If you know anything about radio transmission you would
not make such a statement. Radio reception changes at night due to the
layers in the atmosphere changing. Nothing to do with transmitter power levels.

>DSL tech may be able to help minimize the impact of this.

Sham,
I would be careful what you say about AM radio stations or Ham Radio
Operators. They have to jump through hoops to get their licence and they
take great care that their equipment meets ACA standards. Not like the
class license that CB Radio Operators get free. In may cases it has been
proven that the Amateur Radio equipment exceeds the required RFI Standards,
and that the affected equipment is poorly designed and/or manufactured.

It is a well known fact that to get prices down to market expectations, the
manufacturer will skimp on RFI filtering to cut costs. It is generally the first thing
to go as it makes little or no difference to performance. This is true for devices
that radiate potential RFI too, like microwave ovens. Just because a modem is
new and works well in most cases does not mean that the modem is well
designed or built. You have to remember that ALL consumer merchandise is
MADE TO A PRICE and NOT TO A STANDARD. This is why consumers generally
don't get the type of equipment that will be immune to the environment it is placed
in - its just too expensive and price is everything to a domestic consumer. You get
what you pay for, and in some cases it not what you want or need.

I do agree that you must take a close look at the environment, BUT DON'T start
pointing the finger at a general community without due reason. If you consider
Ham Radio as a problem, I suggest that you do better research. You might find the
CB community cause more problems that Ham Radio Operators are blamed for.
The lack of understanding what causes RFI is the biggest problem. Even you might
be surprised.

I speak from experience, I am an Amateur Radio Operator of many years experience
and have a good understanding of computer and electronic equipment in general. I
also worked in mainstream Television for over two decades in technical areas. You
have a better appreciation of what constitutes RFI and the lengths you go to eliminate it.
Your mobile phone is one such source. If you want a great source of RFI, pick any
domestic computer or better still a fluorescent lamp with the power factor capacitor removed.

>Don't give up, dude. :)

We do at least agree here, but don't jump to conclusions either!

Regards

Mark

Quote: "In the middle of chaos lies opportunity"
                                         Author unknown
--
Mark