[plug] Interesting Linux Demo

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Sep 21 21:58:17 WST 2003

Hello to All,

I have just seen an interesting demo of Linux - run from a bootable CD.

The CD is called LindowsCD, the CD is available as a cover disk with the
October edition of APC magazine.

The CD boots to Lindows version 4.0.

More info is available at :

http://www.lindows.com/lindowscd_info.php

and :

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/dir/latest

As a relative newcomer to Linux I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the
experience - the boot up from CD took quite a while before reaching the
desktop (detecting and configuring hardware as usual) but once at the
desktop  I was surpised at how smoothly everything was running.

Setting up my Epson printer took about 20 seconds and the test print
although slow produced a high quality printout of the test page (Using CUPS
v1.1.x).

My sound card (Creative Vibra 128) and network card (Realtek 8029) were
detected without any problems.

But the part I liked the most - was that the file manager allowed me to
access ALL of the partitions on my 30 Gb hard drive - including Lycoris and
Redhat - I was also able to run XMMS to play my Mp3 collection directly from
my Windows partition using the playlist I had created using my Windows Mp3
player - Winamp.

I was not able to configure my network but Samba was up and running with the
Lindows demo - I still have a great deal to learn and discover with Lindows
- but I am tempted to play with it some more.

The Office suite provided was Openoffice version 1.0 - and I had no problem
accessing and opening various documents that I had on my Windows partitions.

Overall an enjoyable experience - a little slow at times due to the need to
load software from the CDROM - but otherwise it was smooth and trouble free
- a great way to introduce Linux newbies to a smooth, reliable and stable
GUI environment that is not 'Windows' and it even 'feels' better than 'MS
Windows'.

I think that the Lindows Demo on CD is of Debian Gnu/Linux origin and I like it.

Regards Arie Hol