[plug] USB Cameras for mounting in a vehicle

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Sep 26 10:49:59 WST 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 07:48:01AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
| Has anyone got any experience with USB cameras that sample swiftly -
| we're travelling at 90km/h - and work nicely with Linux. I'm hoping to
| grab a frame every two or so minutes, (with some smarts if we're
| stationary), from two cameras (perhaps three), and combine the images
| onto one frame.

It sounds like what you're after is one that has a short aperture time
rather than a particularly high sample rate.  Perhaps you'd be better
off buying a "normal" digital camera which should be able to do a frame
every couple of minutes no worries, probably at much higher resolution
than a camera advertised as a "web cam".  I have an (old, cheap) Kodak
DX-3215 which has no worries taking pictures from a moving vehicle - at
least in daylight - but sadly you can't trigger it to take a photo via
the USB port.  Perhaps you'd have more luck with another brand though?

Cameron.