[plug] debian pros & cons

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 30 15:53:55 WST 2003

Onno Benschop wrote:
> Trevor and Ariana, welcome to Linux, I hope you'll enjoy the fronteer
> and the community that goes with it.
>
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:47, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>>If you're keen on debian you will need a good deal of patience and
>>perseverance (possibly a trip to the workshop?) to get it going but
>>knoppix gives you a good idea of what you can end up with.
>

> While I agree with your last comment Tim, the first needs some feedback
> in my opinion.

I took a short while to consider my statement just after I sent it and I
would now have to disagree with my last statement.  Knoppix will give
you a good idea where you can start from.  Where you can end up is soooo
far from what knoppix gives you with only a little bit of trying...

> Fundamentally I disagree with those that suggest that you need patience
> and perseverance with Debian. While I'll be the first to admit that the
> installer doesn't look sexy, nor does it auto-magically answer all your
> questions, a typical Debian install takes me ten minutes, mostly hitting
> Enter.

Basic install agreed.  Takes more than ten minutes when debian 3.0
doesn't support your hardware that works with knoppix- I ended up with
no network card and no X.  The only redeeming feature of the debian
installer IMHO is that it is text based.  Not every install is on a
machine with great graphics capabilities.  If you don't want the
istaller to 'autoconfigure' everything the way knoppix does, fine.  I
like the idea of being able to take control /if/ you want to.  Debian
seems to assume you want complete control over the install.  Some of the
knoppix 'just go and configure it' magic would be nice to have.

> I have been getting familiar with Linux since 1999 because my
> dissatisfaction with Windows began to outweigh the ease-of-use -
> specifically installing and uninstalling applications and service
> patches - often leaving my machine totally unusable.
>
> I got numerous magazines with front-cover Cd's - I was on a dial-up
> connection - and installed Red-Hat, Storm, SuSe, Mandrake (there were
> others - I forget) all from scratch. They all mostly worked. Then I
> tried to install and remove packages. They mostly broke.

I stayed with RH for so long because it 'just worked'.  The thing that
has tipped the balance for me is the focus on the 'corporate desktop/
server' that RH has.  The result is this bluecurve rubbish.  If I wanted
a 'genericised' desktop I would stick with windows.  There is a reason
KDE and Gnome are different.  Making them look the same may be a good
idea for the average noideauser but I don't fit into that category.
Remember the days when enlightenment was the default WM?  Nowdays RH
wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and that's a pity.

> I was pretty much at a loss where to go next. I tried BeOS, looked
> really nice, installed simply, but there were no applications.
>
> I'd been a Macintosh user since 1985, used Win.XXX for most of that time
> as well. I've run NetWare servers since 2.11 and in my quest for the
> next Workstation OS, even tried Solaris.
>
> As you might gather, I'm not one to give up too soon.
>
> A friend told me about Debian.
>
> I got really confused about dselect, but once I got over that, I can't
> honestly even consider any other distribution. (Today I don't use
> dselect, others may give differing feedback on this.)
>
> For new users, I'd recommend installing using the task selector and not
> using dselect - in-fact, today I select the task selector and select
> nothing. I generally bail out of the next apt-get as well, but you can
> ignore that last bit of advice until you've done this a few times.
>
> The patience and perserverence for me were related to finding a
> distribution, not with Debian.
>
> Of course your mileage may vary and you may well come to have your own
> opinion on this, but I for one will be using Debian for some time to
> come...

So will I.  Getting it all going  (network card, Xwindow) is just
proving to be a bigger pain than it should be.

> (I know, I've glossed over a lot of issues here, but this message was
> getting rather longer than I thought it should be... start a new thread
> and I'll play.)
>

> Onno Benschop
>
> Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)

Tim Bowden