[plug] Fedora changes in Samba ?

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Sat Apr 3 07:57:19 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 16:42, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Scott Middleton wrote:
>
> >I also built a new XP Pro machine and changed the registry keys back to
> >default on another XP Pro machine. Both of them went on to the domain
> >without trouble.
> >

> Is that using SP1?

Yes they are both SP!

> I read that you weren't supposed to have to change the registry with
> Samba 3.0 either.. but it came up with errors joining the domain if I
> didn't even with 3.0.1.  So changing it fixed the problem for me....

After you did the reg keys you would've rebooted its the reboot that
might've fixed the problem.

My usual cycle
add reg keys
reboot
add workgroup
reboot
add domain
reboot
log onto local machine not domain.
add whatever domain users to local administrator group.
reboot
log on and test
I am sure that 1 or 2 of those reboots can be replaced by net use * /del
/y
but with windows rebooting just feels ---- safer :) and a lot easier in
the long run.

> Just like unix password sync is supposed to work properly as well, but
> it doesn't appear to.  I posted to the Samba list about that and John
> Terpstra checked my config and said he got the same thing.. so I posted
> a bug report.

I gave up on that. My next samba project is ldap. I have a working ldap
address book for evolution, it would be nice to have ldap for
authentication as well.

> Its probably more inconsistent behaviour on the part of Windows if
> anything.  We all know that WindowsUpdate patches have in the past
> "fixed" more things than the update said it was for.

While where on the subject of Windows update. Microsoft is giving away
free update CDs. Everyone should get one. Even if you don't use M$ you
should get it and give it to a friend.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
Has all the update for win 98/me 2K/XP up till October 2003

I got mine about a week later.

Regards.

--
Linux Information Technology