restoring /. files with rsync was: Re: [plug] apt-get remove fails

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Sun Apr 4 13:41:13 WST 2004

--- James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> In message <200404022052.37264.russ at powerstech.com>
> on Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 08:52:37PM +0800, Russ Powers wrote:
> > I can't imagine what kind of hardware problem could cause just
> > one package to die.
>
> Bad blocks on the hard drive.

Sorry about the delay but, I did the reiserfsck and it found errors on one of
my partitions. So I tried to rebuild it and I've spent yesterday reinstalling
linux.  :)

Thank goodnes for rsync!  ;)

But I do have a question now about rsync. when I do an rsync -ar from the
backup to this machine, it doesn't restore my . files. Is there a flag I'm
missing?

And you're probably right about the hard drive James. That's the second time
I've had that problem. So either reiserfs and I don't get along or the drive
is on its last legs.

Thanks
russ