[plug] IP accounting

John Breen john at johnbreen.id.au
Sun Apr 4 15:04:51 WST 2004

At 10:22 30/03/04, you wrote:
>Solved. This fetches a copy once a day (Reynolds appears to do their

Thanks Leon!

I now have a perl script in place that pulls down that file and rebuilds IP
accounting rules with it, and another that dumps byte counts to a HTML
file.  Only problem is, I am getting some really weird numbers
(specifically 18446744073709551138 bytes) , and I'm testing it all by doing
this HTML dump every 5 minutes and zeroing the counts at the same
time.  Since I'm on a 100Mb LAN and that represents something like 2^63
bytes (about a million terabytes), that just don't seem right.

Is there an issue with iptables that I haven't found out about yet?  I'm
running a 2.6.4 kernel on sarge.

Oh, another thing - is it possible to set up the rules to do per-user
accounting?  It's not so bad on the local internal network where there's
only the one user, but there are multiple users on the machine with dialup.

Finally, what tools are available that will take the raw data (if i
generate it on a daily basis for a month), and turn it into pretty graphs?

cheers,

JB