[plug] How to add a entry after compiling a new kernel to grub?

Parag Nemade cranium2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 23:44:50 WST 2004

hello,
i downloaded a kernel 2.4.24 and compile it but it is
not booting so i have to modify the line kernel and
include root=/dev/hda9.
why i required to do it and how by default kernel
works without that parameter?
my default installation is name set by me is PINIX.
Also i want to know how the entry Red Hat
Linux(2.4.24) is automatically added to grub?
Also my previous experience remembers me that i have
to manually add kernel entry to grub?
my grub.conf file is

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making
changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means
that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to
/boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,7)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda9
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=2
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux(2.4.24)
	root (hd0,7)
	kernel /kernel-2.4.24 ro root=/dev/hda9 hdc=ide-scsi
init 3
	initrd /initrd-2.4.24.img
title PINIX(2.4.20-8)
	root (hd0,7)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title Windows 98
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1