[plug] transfer some files between NT4 machines and linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Apr 8 13:40:25 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:28, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Why not use Linux? ;o)
>
> Seriously, is there anything they need specifically on NT4 that they
> can't do on Linux?

I believe he mentioned instrument control. This almost certainly
involves a closed source control/interface app. It's also something you
don't mess with without a really good reason.

I'm familiar with a similar situation with RIPs - we ran our RIP on a
MacOS 8 G3 for _ages_, because "it worked". There was no reason to
change. Sure, it would've been nice to run it on our dual Xeon Linux box
instead - but the app didn't support Linux, the hardware only worked
with that app, and the company that made it had gone out of business
anyway. Above all else, it worked OK was it was and a change might have
introduced unexpected problems.

I use Linux heavily here ... but it's often better to leave existing
systems in place where they work well, and there's no need to change
them.

Craig Ringer