[plug] To SUSE or not to SUSE?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 14 22:45:35 WST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 18:44, Matthew Prouse wrote:
> I am trying to work out if I want to buy SUSE 9.1 Personal. I have
> Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 running on all of my workstations and Fedora on my
> server but SUSE 9.1 Personal is only one CD - and I have to be happy with

It's one DVD.

> that... also, it's only $50 which is cheaper than renewing my
> Mandrakeclub subscription - or buying a Powerpack ($120) *I like to buy
> boxsets rather than download it*

> Has anyone here used both Mandrake and SUSE 8.2/9.0? What are they like?
> Is there an advantage to paying for SUSE? Does anyone run SUSE 9.0 here?
> Will you be upgrading?

Unless you like "dabbling" and spending hours doing downloads; I'd
recommend that you spend the extra bit of money and get the SuSE
Professional "upgrade" instead.

I'll be looking at 9.1 later this year. Installed systems are mainly
8.2, 8.0 and 7.3. There's not much "point" in 9.0 if you have 8.2
already; except fresh media. :-) Well; you get newer base versions
of packages, and better support for newer hardware.

9.1 has a 2.6 kernel as well as 64-bit support out of the same box.
So if you're that way inclined, 9.1 would be a compelling option.