[plug] ISA IRQ's and io addresses - Hardware Detection Tool needed

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 17 09:22:15 WST 2004

Michael Hunt wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> Does anyone know of any simple hardware detection tools that can be run
> from a floppy (preferably under Linux, but DOS is fine) that can show
> what IRQ's, io's etc are being used. I am trying to get some SMC and
> NE2000 ISA cards working on my IPCOP box and need to know some info
> about the cards to determine if they are duds, my hardware is dud or I
> am just setting the wrong irq's etc. Auto probing for the cards is not
> working.

I think that for some cards the autoprobe does not work because the card
doesn't "claim" the IRQ and IO port until you load the driver for it.
Or something like that.

There is a DOS program called 'ezsetup' for the SMC cards, I remember
hearing something about a linux equivalent some time back but I can't
remember the name of it.  You should be able to find these on the net
somewhere.

These older cards might also have jumpers that you can set for
particular configurations.  They often have a jumper that has (say) IRQ
3 / IO port 0x280, another jumper for a different setting, and another
one for 'soft' configuration (set by the config software).  If there is
a comination that doesn't conflict elsewhere this might be an easier
solution.

Regards,
Steve