[plug] How-To Murder?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 21 14:53:08 WST 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 12:46, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 01:12, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > Cyrus IMAP can have a "Murder" (mupdate) front-end to distribute
> > mailboxes over several IMAPD's for load-sharing - and probably for
> > dispersed organizations.

> [snip]

> > So, do anybody have a HOWTO?

> I'm not aware of one. There are a lot of people running murders on the
> Cyrus list, but I haven't seen discussion on how they're initially set
> up. It might well be worth checking out the list archives, as that's
> where a lot of good info about Cyrus can be found.

> I don't think the Cyrus Wiki has anything on setting up a murder either,
> but I couldn't be certain.
> http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/WebHome

That was almost the first place I checked... no; nothing other than
what's on
	http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/CyrusMurder
which is design and details.

I found a few vague hints at
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/andrew2/coverage/FAQ.coverage.html#cyrus-aggr

I'd rather not go on the bleeding edge of Cyrus for production
environments.

Another of my customers dropped their IQ by 20 points and got sucked
into buying a new server with Win2003; without asking me first. Of
course, Samba broke and I had to install Smaba3 on Monday. Then they
decided, after another 20 point drop in IQ to enable RAS, DHCP, DNS
and "intranet" on the bloody thing... which "broke" Samba3. The
Samba server hadn't been listed in DNS.

And Win2003 DHCP doles out addresses without first checking to see
if the address is in use. So the customer is understandably
"impressed" with Win2003.

I just love fiss-parting around getting stuff like that working
again after Micro$not breaks it. Especially when it disrupts me from
grokking Cyrus.