[plug] How-To Murder?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Apr 21 15:26:20 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> I found a few vague hints at
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/andrew2/coverage/FAQ.coverage.html#cyrus-aggr
>
> I'd rather not go on the bleeding edge of Cyrus for production
> environments.

Understandably. I thought the info I sent would be of interest for the
future - I wasn't suggesting it for any immediate use.

I take it that 'doc/install-murder.html' (present in at least 2.2.3)
wasn't useful?

When it comes to authentication, I think most people run murders in
combination with distributed authentication schemes like LDAP and
Kerberos. I've heard good things about both, especially LDAP with
replica LDAP servers on each backend and frontend in the murder.

It's unfortunate that Cyrus Murder only provides scalability, not
redundancy and failover - it'd be a killer service if it could do both.

> Another of my customers dropped their IQ by 20 points and got sucked
> into buying a new server with Win2003; without asking me first.

I love that. Some odd decisions are made without consultation here, too.
One "interesting" example was a switch to all-digital PDF publishing,
where they expected me to iron out problems with it and hadn't even
bothered to tell me they were making the switch until the first "live"
day. Buying a $6000 (and underpowered) mac laptop that's never left the
building "because you need a laptop to use a digital camera" was another
one.

*arrggh*

> Of
> course, Samba broke and I had to install Smaba3 on Monday. Then they
> decided, after another 20 point drop in IQ to enable RAS, DHCP, DNS
> and "intranet" on the bloody thing... which "broke" Samba3. The
> Samba server hadn't been listed in DNS.

Let me guess - it's all Samba's fault to them?

> And Win2003 DHCP doles out addresses without first checking to see
> if the address is in use.

Doesn't every DHCP server? I could've sworn that most happily handed out
addresses within their assigned range without any checks, leaving it up
to the admin to make sure that range was clear for use by the DHCP server.

Craig Ringer