[plug] Customer wants to move away from Windows but...

chris caston at arach.net.au
Sun Aug 1 13:02:45 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 12:46, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 18:05, chris wrote:
>
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html
>
> I tend to agree with James overall, but would not be surprised if the
> author has omitted possible sections in which FreeBSD may not do so well
> in. It is also, as James notes, quite old and suffers for that.
>
> Anyway, it might be time for a talk to your client about not
> automatically believing everything they read on Internet ;-)
>
> Personally, I'm often tempted by FreeBSD, but there are some limitations
> that make it unsuitable for the server I'd like to use it on.

Thanks for you advice. I did work with a FreeBSD person in the past but
they have since moved to Melbourne. I also got an OpenBSD guy to do some
work for me once but I have no idea where he is right now.
I'll admit that I am tempted by the pfsync/CARP failover.

I'll tell the customer that Linux will suit their needs very nicely and
there are much more support people in Perth.

I think this is a bit of a rare situation as non-IT people generally are
much more likely to know about Linux then about FreeBSD.

Still it is the sort of thing that would be expected to pop-up once in a
blue moon.

regards,

Chris