[plug] help with apache2 for newbie

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 9 16:47:03 WST 2004

In message <A1638EC48A05D611921100D0B7B65C244A372D at NTFILESERVER>
on Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:38:14PM +0800, Mark Weber wrote:
> in recent versions of apache, it ws easy to edit httpd.conf file, but in
> apache2 it contains 0 bytes

Hmm, it seems pretty odd to have a zero-length configuration file. Are
you able to tell us the "full pathname" of the file you are looking at?
For example, I might have expected that you'd use
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf (or something like that).

> i have done all sorts of things to get httpd.conf running so my documentroot
> is \opt2, which appears to be my second hard drive, but no joy

Note that under under UNIX and Linux, as in URLs, you must use the
"forward slash" (/) not the backslash (\). Therefore, you must specify
/opt2 in configuration files (not \opt2).