[plug] Help with ADSL Modem for a Newbie

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 9 22:20:06 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 21:46, Tim Josselyn wrote:
> I have a new Netcomm NB1400Plus ADSL Modem. I do not have a network, and I
> am having trouble connecting to the net.
>
> There is an onboard Ethernet port on my motherboard and I have the modem
> conected via USB.

Hmm. It appears to be a DSL router with ethernet, so I'd recommend
getting a crossover ethernet cable and plugging the modem into the LAN
port on your computer. As you do not have a network, you won't need to
worry about making things work with an existing network.

In general, ADSL gear works MUCH more easily under Linux if you can use
Ethernet instead of USB. Drivers provided by manufacturers for USB use
tend to be difficult to install, outdated, or simply entirely absent.

> When Debian "Woody" scan for the modem it only sees eth0 (which I assume is
> the LAN port.

Yep.

--
Craig Ringer