[plug] [OT] Insurance recommendations

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 12 17:10:31 WST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Daniel Pearson wrote:
>

> > You'd probably be wanting to consider Public Liability insurance, too -
> > especially if you're out and about doing onsite tech support. In that regard
> > also, you may also need a Motor Vehicle Policy as well.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel

Sorry, I meant professional indemnity insurance in addition to
public liability insurance.

Public Liability insurance applies when you have a (potential) customer
visit your premises, and they trip on a loose carpet and injure
themselves or their equipment, and Professional Indemnity insurance
applies when you do the wrong thing by them, professionally, by error or
wrong advice/action ("No, you can't use MS Acess for your home inventory
- you need to buy a SAP data warehouse application from me, to do
that"), or by misfortune or neglect ("Oops - the MS Windows NT 4 Service
Pack 6, that I have just installed on your system, means that none of
your applications work any more, and, you have lost the last 20,000
transactions, and about $300,000 worth of sales that occurred today,
and it probably caused that smoke coming out the back of your
computer and that funny coloured liquid running out the front of your
computer").

Disclaimer - I say what I have said, based on my understanding as a lay
person - in this area, Jeremy Malcolm is the one qualified to advise.

And, he is on the SLPWA mailing list....

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."