[plug] hiding service banner

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 14 20:43:01 WST 2004

In message <s11e83b3.078 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 09:26:59PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> What I was looking for was a way to "hide" or  "change" the
> information presented when a scan took place.  Wrong use of the word
> "hiding".

I take it, then, that you haven't actually tried Bill's suggestion?
It does not let you alter or remove the foremost appearance of
"SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3" during scans. That much
is immutable as far as I can see. The issue.net-style banner occurs only
after a client or attacker has performed an initial cryptographic
handshake and successfully begun negotiating an SSH 2 protocol session.