[plug] Linux, DRM and VOD

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Aug 18 15:22:50 WST 2004

Hello,

I was just reading an article on news.com.au entitled:

Telcos take on the video store

(http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10479378%255E15306,00.html)

"I think the existing Big Pond Music model is the model that you will
see most likely to be used, which is one of the reasons that we do Big
Pond Music," he said.

The problem I can see with this is at movies on demand will become
available but they will be so worried about DRM that they will cripple
the service so that loyal Linux using customers will be locked out.

Currently there is nothing to stop a Linux user from playing a rented
DVD on their Linux or home dvd system; albeit it took a while for us to
get here with DeCSS (libdvdcss) and all.

>From the article:

"But wireless technology means some customers will be able to send the
movie images directly to their TV set rather than watching films on a
computer screen."

But will you seen need a Windows machine to grab and decode the movie in
the first place?

Perhaps we will wait and see or act for the outcome that we want.

regards,

--
Chris Caston

Aptitude Technology