[plug] odd file manager hangs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 18 17:13:17 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> BTW, I had failed to understand that the 'processes' might have been
> threads.

Yep; that's so often the case. *sigh*. Heck, I'm not even entirely sure
if they are or are not threads, and frankly that's somewhat scary.

> If there's one thing that sh*ts be about *both* Linux and the
> BSDs, it's the process-analysis, process-management and code-debugging
> utilities. The use of gdb, for instance, really aggravates me.

Agreed, and strongly so. I _loathe_ the way threads are handled, in
particular - it's awful.

Part of the reason, at least under Linux, appears to be a historical
perspective that threading is "un-UNIX-like" and less attention being
paid to it by core software people than could otherwise have been the
case. Of course, that's just my impression.

I'm no big fan of the tools you mentioned for more general uses either,
but when it comes to threading things get really unpleasant.

--
Craig Ringer