[plug] Debian Installation - Sid

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Wed Aug 25 10:15:42 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:45:40 +0800, Ben Woods
><woodsb02 at student.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>

>>What I wanted to ask is this: what do I have to do to enable the "unstable" sid
>>versions to be downloaded when i am installing the software?
>>

>Last time I used a beta of the "Sarge" installer, it prompted during
>install whether I wanted to build a Stable, Testing or Unstable system
>- so selecting Unstable there should give you what you want.
>
>Any particular reason you want a fully Sid system? Personally, I use
>Sarge/Testing as the base, and just install Sid packages as required.
>You can set priorities in /etc/apt/preferences to default to Sarge,
>but override to Sid for specific things as needed.
>

>>Also if anyone knows any pitfalls i may come across during the installation,
>>that would really help! I have already given it a shot at home
>>

>Don't pick the UK keyboard mapping!! (The second or so question asked. ^_^)

Me personally I have now got it running pretty much exactly as my

My reason for sid is because of device drivers.  The last bit is
importing mail and bookmarks from fedora and also my work can't forget
that now can we???

But I would have to say sid's installer is 10 times better than sarge
and a lot easier than anything I've come across so far.

It uses grub now which makes me very happy since I could never grasp
lilo and grub just seemed to make sense to me.

Anyways I'm pretty chuffed atm cause a 10 min install happened which
says something then obviously update from there.

Marc