[plug] Debian Installation - Sid

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:20:59 WST 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:15:42 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra
<marc-w at smlintl.com.au> wrote:

> My reason for sid is because of device drivers.  The last bit is
> importing mail and bookmarks from fedora and also my work can't forget
> that now can we???

I use Sarge for the distro - but I compile up the latest 2.6 kernel
for it. Debian has some very neato tools, where you configure your
kernel (make menuconfig etc), then run make-kpkg with a few args, and
it compiles up the kernel & generates .deb files which do all the hard
work.

> But I would have to say sid's installer is 10 times better than sarge
> and a lot easier than anything I've come across so far.

You mean better than Woody's? AFAIK Sid's installer IS Sarge's...

> It uses grub now which makes me very happy since I could never grasp
> lilo and grub just seemed to make sense to me.

I'm starting to use grub over lilo now. I've found a few instances
where I've wanted functionality I couldn't find in grub. Hopefully the
new grub will fix that tho...

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University