DVB-T Stuff (was Re: [plug] Re: Willing to sell your Wizard box?)

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 10:35:25 WST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:30:48 +0800, Michael Holland
<michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:49:46 +0800, Trevor Phillips
> <trevor.phillips at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > *rofl*
> > Well, first I struggled with bleeding edge drivers for over a week,
> > even resorted to Windows to test the hardware for a while (and boy is
>
> Ouch! For those put off by this, I can report that the Hauppauge Nova-T works
> with the standard 2.6 kernel drivers.  All I needed was a boot script
> to modprobe the needed modules (mandrake 10 wasn't configured to
> auto-load them),
> to place the firmware in the correct directory, and the channel config data
> for the player software. Easy :-) .

I'm sure the Nova-T was a bit of a bitch to get going when it first
came out. ^_^
The AVerMedia 771 uses a different chipset to the older ones, so
support is still being added. I'm sure in a few months (years? ^_^)
it'll be just another standard kernel module as well...

> > to grab the feed. Except it was Anamorphic-squished, and wouldn't
> > scale at all.
>
> Was this in X?  I get that trying to use framebuffer with mplayer.

Yes, it was in X. As root tho, so there could've been some strange
setting I'd set up previously. Trying it the next day as a user it all
worked fine, and I haven't had the aspect ratio problem since... A
little strange, but I'm not complaining. ^_^

> >   *What to do about 4:3 shows from a 16:9 feed, on a 4:3 television.
> > (ie; black borders all 'round!). I'll see if I can hotkey a zoom/crop
>
> "$ mplayer -vf lavcdeint,crop=540" will deinterlace and crop to 4:3 size.

I'll give it a go. Any way to toggle between two crop settings while a
show is running though?

> >   *Clearing disk space for recorded programs & time-shift buffer
>
> Could be time to buy a new bigger drive?

It's 40Gig - but it WAS my primary HDD for an old desktop PC. I backed
up my important data & save games off a 20Gig Windows partition, &
nuked that, then ext2resize'd the linux data drive, so I now have a
bit more space.

> >   *Fixing sound for HD feeds (haven't looked too much at this issue)
>
> Need the AC3 codec?

Possibly - but it's pretty rare that I throw something at mplayer & it
can't play it...

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University