[plug] Debian Installation - Sid

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 25 12:54:54 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> > My reason for sid is because of device drivers.  The last bit is
> > importing mail and bookmarks from fedora and also my work can't forget
> > that now can we???
>
> I use Sarge for the distro - but I compile up the latest 2.6 kernel
> for it.

The almost-latest 2.6 kernel /is/ packaged in sarge, and the absolute
latest is in sid, so you're probably better off using Debian's kernels
unless you're going to be patching the kernel in some way (e.g. on my
machines I apply patches adding software suspend support, MPPE
encryption so you can connect to UWA's SNAP network, SKAS mode to make
User-Mode Linux run fast, the latest ACPI patches on my laptop, etc).

Sarge currently doesn't have The Gimp.  This will be fixed by the time
sarge is released, but until then, you can always grab gimp from sid.

> > But I would have to say sid's installer is 10 times better than sarge
> > and a lot easier than anything I've come across so far.
>
> You mean better than Woody's? AFAIK Sid's installer IS Sarge's...

Pretty much, yeah.  There is no Debian installer which installs sid by
default, although both sarge and sid debian-installer give you the
option in "expert" mode.  To make it more confusing, sarge_d-i and
sid_d-i refer to different versions of the installer ("sid_d-i" being the
development version i.e. daily builds, and "sarge_d-i" being the
latest beta or release candidate, currently RC1).

Cameron.