[plug] [OT] Looking for cheap P4

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Aug 27 13:14:16 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 12:36, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> I have a Celeron 2.2GHz. It sucks. Big time!
> I'd love to replace it with a P4 over 2.0Ghz - but I really can't
> justify spending over $200 on a new 2.4GHz, just for this project.
>
> Is there anywhere that sells this sort of CPU for under $200? The
> cheaper the better, as long as it works. Second-hand is fine - as long
> as it works. ^_^

Interesting because I run Debian sid on a Celery 1.7 with KDE 3.2
(hasn't been upgraded to 3.3 yet due to some KDE apps) and it runs much
better than Windows XP on some Pentium ~2.4ghz or so machines I know.
Although that is with all their other crap installed as well.

BTW where do you see 2.4s available? All my wholesalers don't sell
anything below 2.8 which you should be able to get for about ~$250 or
so.

Beware of the Prescott cores. They run hotter and you may require a well
circulated case.

I'm starting to feel the market for Transmeta kicking in soon.

regards,

Chris Caston