[plug] [OT] Looking for cheap P4

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:31:41 WST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:14:16 +0800, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:

> Interesting because I run Debian sid on a Celery 1.7 with KDE 3.2
> (hasn't been upgraded to 3.3 yet due to some KDE apps) and it runs much
> better than Windows XP on some Pentium ~2.4ghz or so machines I know.
> Although that is with all their other crap installed as well.

This is an interesting break-down of the Celeron types (altho doesn't
seem to include the latest?)
   http://www.cpuscorecard.com/cpuprices/ic.htm

I have a Willamette-128 core - 128k L2 Cache. Ugh. P4 core NEEDS cache.
The next line had 256k L2 Cache but runs hotter.
I've seen newer ones for sale now which up the bus from 400 to 533 as well...

I wouldn't be suprised if 256k is a LOT better than 128k...

> BTW where do you see 2.4s available? All my wholesalers don't sell
> anything below 2.8 which you should be able to get for about ~$250 or
> so.

I haven't looked too closely of late, specifically for a 2.4 P4.

Found one! Simline have one:
   http://www.simline.com.au/product.asp?prodid=5095
It's even "new". ^_^

> Beware of the Prescott cores. They run hotter and you may require a well
> circulated case.

Yeah, I know.

If I had a choice - I'd get a Duron (or even Athlon XP) system - but
this is for an existing SFF box and finances are tight for this
project. ^_^

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University