[plug] Suggestion for web site

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 31 11:45:24 WST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Clare Johnstone wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Bret Busby wrote:
> > and one in the shopping centre. Both sell various Linux magazines and
> > pocket books. Neither appears to sell, for example, the magazine Linux
> > Format.
> >
> > I think that it would need the active participation of most people on
> > the list, to get people to go and check what Linux materials are
> > available at their local newsagents, and submit their findings, to make
> > publishing such a web page, worthwhile.
> >

> Hi Brett,
>
> On the one or 2 occasions I got Linux Format it was in the shopping
> centre. I noticed that these items were only in the shop for a very short
> time each month. I only get magazines occasionally, but if you want one
> regularly it is a good idea to subscribe, or arrange with the newsagent to
> save one for you. Linux Format may be a special case as the copies I got
> (some time back) actually stated that newsagent purchase was not to be
> relied on. The quick turnover means that going somewhere to get a
> copy of any magazine which is seen in a particular newsagent is likely to
> be disappointing; likewise the effort of all the people making the reports
> likely to be wasted, It may help to find out from the newsagent which day
> his deliveries arrive.
>
> cheers,
> clare

One of the two newsagents that I had mentioned, had told me that Linux
Format has not been stocked there, since October last year. In this
case, it is not simply that it is stocked, but sells fast. It is simply
no longer stocked, and, would need to be ordered in, which involves an
obligation to buy it, each time, regardless of whether a particular
issue is wanted.

The other newsagent, from what I understand, from information from the
newsagent, has not stocked the magazine.

Regarding subscribing, and this is also in response to Craig Ringer's
suggestion - the newsagent price per issue, is $14.50. The subscription
price, from the March 2004 issue, is 91.90GBP for the CD issue, and
96.90GBP for the DVD issue. Using the cheaper version, at 91.9GBP, and
using the currency conversion rate of 1AUD=0.38GBP, that gives 242AUD
per year plus the cost of the currency transaction, and, given that the
magazine has 13 (?) issues per year, that gives a cost per issue, of
18.60AUD per issue, which is 28% more than the cost of buying
individual copies of the magazine from a newsagent.

I regularly go to the two newsagents, to see what they have, about
Linux, and, know or can easily find what approximate dates, particular
magazines arrive.

What I have suggested, is simply a resource for Linux users in Perth,
advising what newsagents stock which publications. To do as I had
suggested, would assist both Linux users in Perth, and, the newsagents
who stock wanted Linux publications, so it would benefit both lots of
people.

It would take a bit of work, with subscribers to the list, checking
their local newsagents, to find what Linux publications they stock, and,
if they directly ask the newsagents for a list of Linux publications
that they stock, and, possibly, when the different Linux publications
are available each month at the newsagent (which could also be published
on my suggested web page) and, advise the newsagents, that it is for a
web page to be published for the Perth Linux Users Group, to inform
people as to what Linux resources are available in different locations
within Perth, it could also, in itself, encourage the newsagents to
increase the Linux publications that they stock, which could be good for
both them, and, the Perth Linux community, and, if casual customers of
newsagents see more Linux publications on the shelves, and, if people
happen to chance on a web page that lists the Linux publications that
are available in Perth, and, where they are available, it may increase
awareness of Linux in Perth, and, possibly, the number of people
enquiring about Linux, and, thence, the number of people who start using
Linux.

After all, isn't that what the list, and, PLUG, are all about -
assisting access to Linux resources, and, increasing Linux usage, in
Perth?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale