[plug] Suggestion for web site

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 31 12:14:34 WST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Clare Johnstone wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > and one in the shopping centre. Both sell various Linux magazines and
> > > pocket books. Neither appears to sell, for example, the magazine Linux
> > > Format.
> > >
> > > I think that it would need the active participation of most people on
> > > the list, to get people to go and check what Linux materials are
> > > available at their local newsagents, and submit their findings, to make
> > > publishing such a web page, worthwhile.

Oh, and it just occurred to me, that if my suggestion is implemented, it
could be worth including the country of origin, of each publication, so
that, for example, if a UK version of a magazine with the title "Linux
Magazine" exists, and, a USA version of a magazine with the same title,
but with different content, and, similarly, and Australian version
of a magazine with the same title, exists, with different content,
exists, it would allow for differentiation between the different
magazins available.

Also, to allow for magazines that are not published monthly, the
frequency of publication (eg, two-monthly, quarterly, annual, etc)

Thus, if my suggestion is implemented, it could be useful, to publish
also on the web site, a generic document for taking to newsagents, and
asking them to complete, with the information to be published, something
like:

"

                     Perth Linux Users Group (PLUG)

          Survey of Newsagents Selling Linux Publications
             Results to be published on PLUG web site

Newsagent name:
Newsagent location:

List of Linux publications stocked:

Magazine/         | Country   | Frequency of | Date range when
publication title | of Origin | Publication  | stocks usually arrive
                  |           |              |
                  |           |              |
                  |           |              |

"