[plug] XMMS && dm-crypt

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Dec 3 12:08:02 WST 2004

I have just started experimenting with dm-crypt (device mapper
encryption) and am encrypting most of my partitions (for the sake of it
as an experiment.) I have done most of my partitions and they are fine.
But...

I moved all my music onto a 25Gb encrypted partition and now XMMS
behaves sluggishly. While the music still plays fine anything else just
chugs. The screen update (of XMMS's time scale) and playlist are very
unresponsive.
CPU usage and memory usage are low so I think it is caused by IO waits.

Would this be dm-crypt not functioning well for anything other than
sequential read/writes (i.e. it doesn't like playing the music and
getting ID3 tags for other songs at the same time ....)?

Is there some way I can speed things up or should I leave it on an
unencrypted partition? Read/write speeds appear to be almost the same
its just when playing the music. I haven't had a chance to try with
another media player yet.

Tim
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net