[plug] new radeon card problems

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 20 09:08:44 WST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:15 pm, Jim Householder wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry this is not connected to the proper thread, but my linux
> network access is currently down and this is posted from XP.
>

> I finally got most of my Radeon adapter working - movement is a bit
> shaky.
>
> libglx.a had gone missing from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions, and
> the vertical refresh rate in /etc/X11/XF86Config had been set *much*
> too low by the clever software that detected the card which appears
> to totally replace the configuration file rather than modify what's
> there with the proper monitor section.
>
> I get warnings
> (WW) No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found.
> -- I'm specifying PCI:1:0:0, and get a usable screen.
> (WW) Radeon(0) failed to set up write combining range
> 0xd0000000,0x8000000
>
> If I change to PCI:1:0:1, it says it can't find PCI:1:0:0 and aborts.

Hi Jim

I'm using a Radeon 9200 SE card with a 1280x1024 LCD screen, and it worked out
of the box with debian's hardware detection (dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86). I can mail you my XConfig-4 file if you think it would
help.

Just to make sure it's the same as your card, lspci gives:
[...]
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon
9200 SE] (rev 01)
0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]
(Secondary) (rev 01)
[...]

I'm running debian testing, with a custom 2.6.8 kernel .

Steve