[plug] Re: [OT] Television

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 2 10:06:52 WST 2004

[This is starting to shape up as a flame-war.]

In message <200402020939.27813.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
on Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:39:27AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:59, James Devenish wrote:
> > - you rely on a particular "stereotype" to put forward your argument
> >   (singular);
> False. That's experience, not stereotype.
> >  - you fail to acknowledge experiences outside the stereotype;
> False. I've swapped experiences with many other people,...and yet
> they've come to very similar conclusions about the idiot box.

It surprises me that all these people are able to extract so little use
from the television (makes me wonder what is being watched).

> and abnegation is an instance of self-control.

So are some prominent nutriment-deprivation disorders. "Self control"
isn't a complete argument on its own, particularly given that it is not
necessary to watch all materials that are shown on television: it is
actually possible to use discretion when watching non-zero quantities of
TV!

> I hope you're not arguing that self-control is a bad thing to teach
> children?

So this *is* a flamewar!