[plug] POSIX ACL support

Andrew Howell andrew at it.net.au
Tue Feb 10 16:17:10 WST 2004

I think the 2.6 kernel has acls and extended attributes natively now.

Anyway I've used posix acls with samba and it worked okay but I found it
a bit fiddly sometimes. This was about a year ago and I never ended up
using really in full production.

We have used trustees though a lot with samba. I much prefer them as
ACLs really are just a pain in the arse, and exposing ACLs through to
windows users is even worse.

Trustees is much nicer as you only do the ACLs on directories which
makes things much simpler and the ACLs are stored in a file rather than
in the filesystem, which makes backups simpler.

Andrew