[plug] Programming Rut

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Wed Feb 18 10:58:12 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:09, Harry wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:12:13 +1030 Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> Explain the problem to someone else, not necessarily a technical person.
>
> In person (ie verbally and with scratchy diagrams or vigorous hand waving).

I'd second this! There's nothing better for me than trying to explain my
difficult problems to my wife, who, while she can understand the
concepts, doesn't have a programming or even computer related background
(she's an English teacher). Having to go back and explain the basic
assumptions often helps.

I find that cups, drink bottles and anything else on the dinner table
very useful in the task of explaining. (i.e. Think Juliet's father
trying to explain the offside rule to Juliet's mother in Bend It Like
Beckham).

Apart from that the usual insomnia helps a treat.

Kirk