copy protected cds, was:RE: [plug] ABC 7:30 Report - comments anyone?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 18 17:07:03 WST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 03:56:57PM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> I don't have anything particularly new to add to this, although I
> certainly agree it's a biased report. An issue I'd like to raise
> with the recording industry is copy protected CDs, I have problems
> with buying an inferior product, and for anyone who's unfamiliar
> with copy protected CDs (very fortunate ppl I should think), they
> have inbuilt flaws built into them so that PC CD-ROM drives have
> problems reading them (yo ucan generally get away with it at 1x
> speed, but that's another issue).

> These copy protected CDs can be played on Windows, and now nerwer
> ones can be played on Macs, by some kind of circumvention
> programme I assume. Yet I  can't do the same thing under Linux,

Is the media labelled "CD"? If so, it breaks Red Book and Philps
want to know who's abusing their CD-Mark.

	Philips, the Dutch company that with Sony co-created the
	Compact Disc format almost 20 years ago, is standing boldly
	against the industry's use of copy-protected CDs.

	Philips has warned that discs employing such technologies
	cannot be classified as compact discs and can't use the
	"Compact Disc" logo that has been stamped on every CD since
	the format was developed.

	The CD was marked with the Compact Disc logo (although
	Philips, custodian of this standard, has objected to its use
	on copy-protected CDs) and also had a small print 'health
	warning' claiming the CD conformed to the Red Book standard
	and was playable on standard home CD players.

Many of the "copy protected CDs" won't play in cars.