[plug] Formatting a USB Flash Disk in Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 5 21:37:23 WST 2004

Adrian Blockley wrote:
> For what its worth my understanding is that
>
> vfat != fat32
>
> vfat is an extension to fat16 that allows long file names whereas fat32 is the 32 bit implementation of fat16, or am I missing something here???

Hmm... looks like you're right. I went looking for the documentation
that I "remembered" and discovered that my original reading (quite some
time ago) must've been wrong. I expect that the 'msdos' driver will work
with fat12 and fat16 w/o long file names, where 'vfat' will work with
fat16 and fat32 so long as they support long file names.

I was thrown by the /typical/ use of fat16 for dos-only and fat32 for
long file names (win32) voumes.

Sorry.

Craig Ringer