Solved - [plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Fri Jan 9 02:00:47 WST 2004

It's running!  I am talking to you now via a dual processor machine ;-)
...and it only took me what, four days?  ;-/

A few notes about the changeover:
1) 4 beeps during POST means a processor (or possibly a PCI card) is
loose.  I took them (processors) out then put them back in again and it
worked.  This much should have been obvious to me but I could have sworn
I seated them properly!
2) I then got a "1-3-3-1" beep pattern which meant I had dodgy RAM,
which I discovered thanks to Google.  Luckily one of the sticks said
"Intel approved" so I tried that on its own and, voila!
3) The first boot wasn't entirely successful or entirely unsuccessful.
Basically, it (Linux? or init?) noticed that hardware had changed, but
didn't seem to do what it should have done in order to reconfigure
itself.  For example to get the network working again I had to actually
enter "eepro100" into the /etc/modules.conf file (thanks to Craig Foster
for that - I would have never known what to try without knowing the
module name!).  I probably could have used linuxconf for this, but still
would have needed the module name.
4) I haven't got X working but this is immaterial at this stage.  It
doesn't seem to know any modules called "SVGA" or "svga"...?

Many thanks to Nathan for the case - it worked a treat and with minimal
cutting - and thanks to the list in general for continuing to drag me up
the learning curve ;-)

Regards,
Ben

--