[plug] RAID server...LILO

Adam Hewitt adam.hewitt at globaldial.com
Fri Jan 9 12:03:08 WST 2004

On 08/01/2004, at 5:57 PM, Shayne O'Neill wrote:

> Actually from my take on it "li" is the generic "I am broken" effect
> from lilo :(
<SNIP>

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Adam Hewitt wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Well I am getting closer to fixing my problem of booting the RAID
>> server I was getting help for yesterday. Now I am getting "LI" and
>> from
>> what I have read on the net this is caused by having the kernel image
>> above the 1024 cylinder limit or by a missing /boot/boot.b file
>> however
>> I have neither of these issues? Can someone suggest another cause?
>>
>> Adam.
<SNIP>

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

After fighting with this problem for about a day my last resort was to
kill the mbr and re run lilo. After not being able to find any command
in linux to do this I tried

	dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

and it appeared to not actually write anything...Huh? I then ran

	dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/bs bs=512 count=1

and found that it still had all the lilo info there. I then  booted up
with a *WINDOWS* CD got into the "recovery console" and ran "FIXMBR"
fully expecting it to install a windows boot record and that I would
have to then use a debian boot cd and re run lilo....but it BOOTED
straight into the debian install like nothing had ever
happened...WTF!!!

I am feeling nauseated at the feeling that MS may have just got a point
on my scoreboard, yuchk...

I hope this info helps someone, but it sure isn't helping me atm

Adam.