[plug] RAID server...LILO

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 9 12:18:32 WST 2004

Adam Hewitt wrote:

| After fighting with this problem for about a day my last resort was to
| kill the mbr and re run lilo. After not being able to find any command
| in linux to do this I tried
|
| 	dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

Because /dev/null is empty, so dd'ing it anywhere will do nothing.
/dev/zero is probably what you meant - but note that this will kill your
partition table as well as your MBR!!  So perhaps it's just as well it
didn't work the first time ;-)

| and found that it still had all the lilo info there. I then  booted up
| with a *WINDOWS* CD got into the "recovery console" and ran "FIXMBR"
| fully expecting it to install a windows boot record and that I would
| have to then use a debian boot cd and re run lilo....but it BOOTED
| straight into the debian install like nothing had ever
| happened...WTF!!!

Perhaps LILO is installed on the first block of the Debian partition
rather than on the MBR.  That would explain why altering the MBR doesn't
affect anything.

Cameron.