[plug] Gain Linux based control of reticulation system

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Jan 10 19:08:29 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 14:52, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> Dont you go plugging into ports you know nothing about!
> Theres every chance it aint no ethernet port.
> more likely its gunna be rs-232.
>
> How many wires are hooked into the port.

All six.

> Also, is the little nub in the middle or off to the side?

In the middle on the side directly opposite the the "wires".

> If its 3 wires, spot on its rs232. (gnd, rx, tx) This is a good thing, you
> just need to wire up a plug to your serial port, find a good serial probin
> program (minicomm perhaps?) and start playing.
>
> if indeed its ethernet, I suppose you could stick ethereal across it and
> start listeng for any advertising coming out.

Ethereal is a good idea. I have heard many good things but have never
used it.

Now the tricky part (or not!) what cable to use? I do have a crimper
that can handle RJ-12 but I've only crimped Cat5 classes. Assuming that
it is a eth port (I will test on an old P1) I need to work out how to
crimp the cable on each side and what order.

Should I use RJ-12 plugs for both ends or RJ-45 on the side that goes to
the nic?

regards.

Chris