[plug] When is the next installfest?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 15 20:28:57 WST 2004

One way around this for older rpm systems is to install from source
rpm's.  Download whatever version you need as source, and build/install
as per docs.  It may (usually does) require a few update dependencies to
be done as well, but they are usually manageable (and get less as the
system stabilises).  Its best to grab just the earliest ones that work
rather than pick the latest latest which may create too many problems.
In many cases you can build from pure source, but that can mean major
breakages elsewhere unless you know what you are doing.  Abiword should
be easily buildable like this (I have done it on mandrake in the past
for one version a long while back).  The camera software may need some
LD_PRELOAD magic if its a propriety binary.

Where it does cause a problem is when newer versions of a package change
the configuration in incompatible ways, but that can usually be sorted
out.  Older systems may also need care with gnome2 and later kde for
example as they require some magic to enable peaceful co-existance with
older, required libs.

Or for a permanent fix, install gentoo and leave rpm/dll/binary distro
hell, and regular format disk and reinstall sessions behind.

The source be with you ...
:)
BillK