[plug] Mcafee Linux command line scanner licensing

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 15 12:09:01 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:

> I know we have had discussions on this list before about which virus
> scanner to use with Amavis and on each occasion Mcafee came out as too
> expensive. I was assured that this is quite alright and fine according
> to their licensing.

Hmm. OK. That price is less than 1/4 of the best price I was ever able
to determine for Sophos _or_ McAfee. Nice.

Frankly, though, I see a virus scanner as a less and less useful tool.
With the rapid release of new virus variants, I'm relying almost totally
on attachment blocking and quarantining, with virus scanning as a safety
measure and as something to stop macro viruses. ClamAV seems to do that
job quite nicely.

If they'd only offered me a decent price in the first place, I'd
probably be using their software today.

--
Craig Ringer